Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thanksgiving- Yes, I can!

With babies on the horizon (hopefully) and me being the OCD freak I am (I own it and wear it well) I (I could say Aaron and I, but let's face it, he's the go with the flow one) decided that we should start organizing our holiday traditions this year. I really don't want to be lugging around pack-n-plays, swings, bottle warmers, etc, all over the place on holidays and not get to spend equal time in the home that I grow more and more attached to daily.

So, our first rough draft to try this year:

- Thanksgiving at our home (for lunch so we can still stop by Robyn's to see everyone). This also allows mom, Andie (if she's game) and I to go shopping on Black Friday in Phoenix, with far more variety in shops.
- Christmas Eve with Aaron's family (we're both off so we're going to spend the entire day with them from morning through church in the evening)
- Christmas Day (Morning) in our home. So we can enjoy our Christmas together, breakfast, and just relaxing.
- Christmas Day (afternoon/evening) we'll head up to my parents house and enjoy Christmas dinner and festivities with them.
- Day after Christmas (shopping with mom, spending time at the folks home).

So, that means Jenn is responsible for organizing Thanksgiving. This morning, being the planner I am, I figured out my game plan (thanks Michelle for your helpful tips on how to figure out Thanksgiving):

- Aaron & I: We will do the Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy (I am a mashed potato master!), and two Nothing Bundt Cakes (one in Pumpkin Spice, one in Marble) (and anything else not picked up by others, like Cranberry's, and um maybe more sides?)
- Mom & Dad: Green Been Casserole, veggie type tray, pumpkin pie, and my special chocolate cream pie.
- Aaron's Parents (if they chose to come): um anything else I'm forgetting?

I already ordered the bundt cakes, and will be looking for a Turkey here in the upcoming days.

Hurray for feeling like this is a "can do"!

3 comments:

Shell said...

Hooray you! I talked to Syl last night about possibly doing one at our house--lookie who inspired me!

Heather said...

I hosted my first Thanksgiving last year and it's not as hard as our minds make it out to be! Especially when you're not doing the whole thing and have other's bringing side dishes! Sounds like you have a good game plan going, so relax and enjoy the fun of it all! Because ultimately that is the whole point to this wonderful event! Fun with family/friends! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you popping your cranberry!! I can't wait to hear how wonderful it all turns out... because you know it will be amazing since you are amazing!