Wednesday, June 30, 2010

And So It Ends

Today was my last day at work. For 5 years, I've commuted from 4 different residences to one location in downtown Scottsdale. For 5 years, I've pulled into my greatly appreciated (and very much missed) assigned parking spot # 555, in the super awesome underground parking garage our building came with. For 5 years, I've lugged a lap top and blackberry around shamelessly, pulling over on countless roadsides to take my wireless card out and submit a report or email. Today, I left that familiar and safe building empty handed.

I resigned from my position over 4 weeks ago, and though I knew I was leaving (and have never once second guessed this decision) today, it was real. Today I was saying goodbye, and today I was realizing that this familiar and comfortable place full of people I love and adore, would no longer be my place of employment. Today, I closed my office door, placed my keys in an envelop with a blue post it note, and walked out into the sun, wondering what tomorrow would bring. Wouldn't you wonder the same?

Well I'm glad you would, because, tomorrow brings the start of my new job. That's right, while dealing with the emotions of leaving my comfortable environment, I was also dealing with the anxiety of worrying about my very first day of employment starting tomorrow. Being the new kid in school is so stressful. Actually, I wouldn't know, I've never been the new kid, so I imagine it to be stressful.

I laid out my clothes. You heard me, laid out my clothes. I'm so nervous that while I should be sleeping, I can't because I have 29709878 thoughts running through my mind. And while I'm excited and nervous all in the same, on question looms on my mind. One question makes me quiver with fear. One question will make or break my day tomorrow.

Should I pack my lunch?

Think about it, I don't want to walk in as the new kid with my little brown paper sack asking, "where should I put this?" Seriously- how old am I? So what do I do? Plan on purchasing lunch? The only thing remotely close to the office is a McDonalds, a McDonalds (yes, aside from the parking garage, I'd say the lack of food choices is the new buildings biggest downfall). So what do I do? How do I make sure I have the nutrient goodness I need without looking like a total dweeb, asking my new boss where to store my brown paper lunch sack, like a 7 year old kid going to 2nd grade? This one, minor, simple, and well, ridiculous question is weighing so heavily on my mind this evening that I'm deathly afraid I'll get no sleep over a simple brown paper bag.

What would you do?

1 comment:

Shell said...

I'm thinking about you! I have a vintage lunchbox you can borrow ;)
So much excitement right now!